Download Our Current Newsletter

Download Our 2016 Annual Report

American Association for State and Local History

> BOARD RESOURCES

Museum

Hours

Open May through September
Thursday & Friday :: 3-6 PM
Saturday & Sunday :: 2-6 PM
Special tours May-October by Appointment

Admission

Adults $2 :: Children $1
> FREE Admission for Members!

Internship Opportunities

CLHA will cooperate with educational institutions to ensure that internships are academically-oriented for the benefit of students. Positions offer an excellent opportunity to work on substantive projects, can result in a great reference, and will include exposure to a wealth of nonprofit management practices.

> Collections Intern
> Organizational Development Intern

CLHA is a Enterprise Expansion Opportunity Network partner. Calumet College of St. Joseph students are encouraged to speak to the career services coordinator to learn more about EEON and how to earn income during an internship with CLHA.

Applicants desiring to utilize an internship as an AmeriCorps experience are encouraged to contact us for more information. AmeriCorps members who complete their service earn a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award to pay for college, graduate school or to pay back qualified student loans.

Volunteers Needed

Click to View Volunteer Opportunities on SignUp.comThe Lake of the Red Cedars Museum consists of 14 rooms featuring settings from the past and 11 special exhibits highlighting the history of Cedar Lake. The museum is staffed solely by volunteers. Tour guides are always needed. Please contact us at 219.390.9423 or clhamuseum@yahoo.com if you are available to give tours during museum hours or sign-up online.

Blue Star Museum Program

The Cedar Lake Historical Association’s Lake of the Red Cedars Museum is one of more than 2,000 museums across America to offer free admission to military personnel and their families this summer in collaboration with the National Endowment for the Arts, Blue Star Families, and the Department of Defense.
>Read full Press Release

History

The Lake of the Red Cedars Museum houses many interesting exhibits of Cedar Lake and the surrounding area. Included among these are the ice industry which flourished in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Several period rooms depict the lifestyle of the early century. The museum maintains a 1920's flavor in keeping with Cedar Lake's tradition as a resort destination for Chicago's high society during the Prohibition era. Take our guided tour and learn how Dr. William Scholl started his famous shoe making business as an apprentice of his grandfather here in Cedar Lake. Walk into our 1940's doctor's office to test your eyesight and find out why the operating room walls were green. View our expansive fashion collection from an 1870's mourning gown to a 1920's flapper dress.

The Lake of the Red Cedars Museum is a 60-room, "T" shaped building. The east/west base of the "T" was originally located on the west shore of Cedar Lake. It was built in 1895 by the Armour Bros. as a boarding house for "ice farming" employees who cut and harvested ice on the lake. In 1919, Jonathan and Philip Armour sold their ice business to John Shedd, who later helped finance construction of the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. Chris Lassen, who owned a thriving dance pavilion, purchased the boarding house and wood from the ice barn. During the winter of 1919 he moved the entire building over the frozen lake to its present site on the east shore. He then remodeled it into a hotel and built the top section of the "T" with wood from the ice barns.

The Lassen Resort was well known in the region for its hotel, restaurant built out over the lake, and its dance pavilion featuring live band performances. The Lassen family used the unique building as a hotel until shortly after World War II. The historic building was later sold to the Lake Region Christian Assembly and used as a church camp. The 20-acre property, including the hotel, was purchased by the Town of Cedar Lake from the Assembly for use as the Town Complex. When it became evident town officials were considering tearing down the decaying hotel, the Cedar Lake Historical Association, Inc. was formed and rallied to save the structure. In 1981 it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Association now operates the old Lassen Hotel as a Museum.

Come sit on our wrap-around porch and enjoy the scenic view. Learn about our past at the Lake of the Red Cedars Museum on the shores of Cedar Lake.